18 September 2023, Nairobi. – Are you passionate about public spaces, youth engagement, and urban health and wellbeing? Are you under the age of 32 and do you have insights, research, or personal stories to share about the transformative power of youth involvement in shaping public spaces? If so, we invite you to contribute to an important initiative that has the potential to influence the future of urban environments.
The Young Gamechangers Initiative (YGI) is dedicated to improving the health and well-being of young people by actively involving them in urban governance and the design of inclusive public spaces. To further this mission, the Journal of Public Space is proud to announce a Call for Submissions for its upcoming special issue on “Public Space and Placemaking: Evaluating the Impact on Youth Health and Wellbeing.”
This unique opportunity allows you to contribute your voice to a global conversation about the critical role of young people in shaping the cities of tomorrow. We are seeking:
- Academic Articles: Rigorous research papers that delve into the impact of youth engagement in public space design, examining their health and well-being, the relationship with city governance, the application of digital technology, and how they interface with city systems.
- Personal Stories: Share your personal experiences or narratives about how youth engagement transformed a public space and enhanced the well-being of the community.
- Research: Present your findings, studies, or surveys that provide valuable insights into the effects of youth involvement in placemaking.
- Case Studies: Highlight successful projects, programs, or initiatives where youth played a pivotal role in shaping public spaces and fostering community well-being.
- Photo Essays: Use the power of visual storytelling to showcase the impact of youth-led placemaking on urban environments and the people who inhabit them.
Your contribution to this special issue will not only be featured in the Journal of Public Space but will also play a crucial role in advancing the goals of the Young Gamechangers Initiative. In addition, selected articles may have the opportunity to be presented at the World Urban Forum in 2024, giving your work a global platform for recognition and impact.
The Journal of Public Space, with its commitment to diversity, inclusivity, and open access, is the perfect platform for your work. It is an international, interdisciplinary, academic journal dedicated entirely to public spaces. We value diverse perspectives, unconventional dialogues, and untold stories, especially those from regions often underrepresented in mainstream discourse.
Submissions should be related to cities and public spaces, with a particular focus on intermediary cities in the global south. We welcome contributions from emerging and young scholars, designers, planners, city practitioners, youth organizers, advocates, and storytellers up to 32 years. In addition, we are also inviting drawings and poetry submissions that reflect the journal themes from youth within the range of 15 and 24 years. Your work should offer critical and innovative insights into placemaking in diverse urban spaces and explore its transformative implications for youth health and well-being.
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact on our cities and the lives of young people, seize this opportunity to contribute to a vital conversation. Help us understand the dynamic relationship between youth engagement, public spaces, and urban well-being.
Together, we can shape healthier, more inclusive, and vibrant cities for future generations. Submit your work to the Journal of Public Space and be part of this exciting journey towards urban transformation.
For submission guidelines and inquiries, please visit the website of The Journal of Public Space or contact us at email@example.com.
Let’s change the world, one public space at a time!